Skip to main content

Featured Post

House of Spooks ~ Halloween Special

Hey guys. Happy Halloween! I'm super proud of this story, I just love how it turned out, and I hope you guys enjoy it too. I just give a really quick thank you to my awesome neighbors for letting me shot in this old house on their land. ❤️ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Any aces?" "Nope, go fish." "Hey, Em! You ready to go?" Emerson asked as she and Candy walked into the kitchen. Emily turned in her seat, "Emerson, I already told you, you're fourteen years old I'm sixteen years old. I'm not taking you trick-or-treating." "But Emily, Candy is still thirteen. This is her last chance to go out on Halloween, but her mom said she could only go if I went with her, and Mom said I can only go if you go!" Emerson argued. "Yeah, but Janet and I have plans." Emily replied. 'Where you going to play 'Go Fis

Sweetheart ~ In which I experiment with Fairy Lights


Hey guys!
I use 'fairy lights' (Old yellow Christmas lights XD) in a lot of my indoor photography.
You can see them in my doll house, and more notably in my photoshoots.
I think, if used well, they can add a lot to a picture. 
So, I guess this is kind of a 'tips and tricks' for using Christmas fairy lights in photography.
If you are looking for more ideas like this, definitely look on Pinterest because that's where I got these ideas. :)


This is the first, and in my mind, most successful time I used my lights.


I did this shoot indoors, right under a big window, on a cloudy day, which caused the camera to pickup the glow from each individual light.  


I also used the tick where you take one of the lights and hold it up against the lens just enough that you can see it in the corner. I love the look it gives to an empty corner of the photo.


This was the second time I used the lights. 
I like the product so much the first time, but this time I was a little disappointed.


Without the natural light from a window, the lights gave all the pictures an orange hue instead of nice little orange dots.
Now, this was before I knew very much about editing. If I reedited this shoot, it might turn out better.


Third times a charm?
Sort of.


This time I had more natural light, but I also had a super light background.


I think I also had the lights a bit too close so again they didn't really get that nice glow.


Eeeeh, just a touch of the glow that I was looking for.


With these next ones, I was experiment with different light placements.
I this one, I held a single light up to the lens.


Here I held the cord in front of her... I don't really love the look.


In this shot, I held them off to the side, behind her to create some depth.


This one is my favorite. I like the depth of field in it. :) 


I really like the textures in this one, but the fairy lights are virtually invisible. 🤦‍♀️


This was just for fun. 😋


Without lights.


With lights.
As you can see the lights completely change the exposure, giving it a more red/orange hue. I all so put the lights behind a thin bed sheet, to diffuse the light a little. I kind of like the glowy feeling it gives.



This fourth time, I used a different kind of light. 


Some of the shots came out pretty cool, but they took a lot of editing.


I think because I was right outside, the sun actually took over the lights glow, so it didn't show up on the camera.


These ones are my favorite.


For these, I turned off all the lights in my room, and blocked all the lights from the window. I love how the florescents didn't mess up the colours. 


The lights were the right distance back, so they blurred really nicly.



I was going for a nostalgic, cozy vibe, and I love how it came across!


And finally the most recent.


I was very disappointed with the orange haze in these shots.


On a few of them, however, I was able to edit it out. 😁 

So that's it. I hope you enjoyed.
And I think the moral of this whole posts is if you're going to include lights in your photography, you have to know how to edit.  Well that, and the best place to use them is indoors with soft natural light. 😉
Now my hands are going to go into withdrawal from typing 'light' too many times.
Light!
I mean, bye!

~ Megan 


Comments

  1. I love these so much! I love that classic photo of Charlie, and the last one of Heather! I have a question, how much would you recommend getting Kaya? I've been seeing a lot of adorable photos of her lately, and I'm tempted to get her!

    -Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)
      So, Kaya is super cute, but I do find it hard to find colours she looks good in, that could just be because I have a much older one though. However, her hair is so much fun! If you do get one, I would say make sure she doesn't have really frizzy hair. My Afton came with the ends of her hair practically melted together, and we had to trim it quite a bit. Now I really enjoy playing around with her hair, but it much shorter, which is kind of sad. Mine also gets really dusty very quickly.
      Anyways, to sum up, I would rate her 4.5/5
      I hope this helps. :)
      ~ Megan

      Delete
    2. Thanks, this helped a lot! She is now on my wish list of many dolls!

      -Kaitlyn

      Delete
  2. I really like all those pictures! The ones with Afton and her doll are super cute! Thanks for the tips and tricks on fairy/Christmas lights - I'll have to try that sometime. (Runs down and starts trying to find the box of Christmas stuff. XD) What do you use to edit your pictures? I've never really tried editing mine, but it would probably be useful.
    -ForestPoodle88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)
      I use ACDsee Pro 9 for editing. I find it fairly easy to use, as I have no editing knowledge/ skill. XD
      ~ Megan

      Delete
    2. Okay, thank you. I may try editing pictures sometime . . . if I can muster the courage to try. :)
      -ForestPoodle

      Delete
  3. Oh these are fantastic! I love taking photos with fairy lights(judging from my band photoshoots...).
    I will give you this piece of advice, it can help to have the clear fairy lights. Like, I had the white Christmas lights for a while too, but I found some actual fairy lights at the grocery store for $5, and they look way better. Just compare 2019's band photoshoot to 2020's.
    Either way, your photography is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diamond. :D
      Yes, I've been keeping an eye out for proper fairy lights, but I haven't found any yet. Thank you very much for the tip, though. I didn't want to buy a set, then not have them be any better. :)
      ~ Megan

      Delete
  4. These are really pretty! I've never thought of using fairy lights in a photoshoot before, but now I might just have to try! I like the pictures of Afton (the third time, I think). The black and white photo is cool. Black and white IS fun to play around with!
    ~ FlamyFox13

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts