Skip to main content

Featured Post

House of Spooks ~ Halloween Special

Hey guys. Happy Halloween! I'm super proud of this story, I just love how it turned out, and I hope you guys enjoy it too. I just give a really quick thank you to my awesome neighbors for letting me shot in this old house on their land. ❤️ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Any aces?" "Nope, go fish." "Hey, Em! You ready to go?" Emerson asked as she and Candy walked into the kitchen. Emily turned in her seat, "Emerson, I already told you, you're fourteen years old I'm sixteen years old. I'm not taking you trick-or-treating." "But Emily, Candy is still thirteen. This is her last chance to go out on Halloween, but her mom said she could only go if I went with her, and Mom said I can only go if you go!" Emerson argued. "Yeah, but Janet and I have plans." Emily replied. 'Where you going to play 'Go Fis

Last Chance ~ Part 4



Links:

And with out further ado, Part 4. :)

**************************************************
In Ruthie's POV
**************************************************


I rush to wear Teresa had told me to meet her mother, out in the yard.
I quickly fixed my hair as I went.


I slowly approached the matron, as I said "Hello ma'am. You called for me?"


"Indeed," the Matron answered, "Do you know what my policy on books is?"
Her question surprised me.
"Um, yes." I stuttered, "The policy is, No books inside the orphanage grounds."
Did she find it? I wondered.


"And how would any of you stupid children manage to sneak a book in?" the matron asked calmly. 
Stupid?! Now I'm past caring! It's time.


"No one ever has." I answered, equally as calm.
"Really." the Matron said flatly.
"Well," I corrected, "except for Kit. She did it lots of times."



The matron jumped, then glared at me.
"You would dare to say her name in front of me!?" she hissed, menacingly.



"You know," I retorted, "I just don't care anymore. I don't care what you do or what you say. Kit is gone so there's nothing you can do anymore."



"Oh really. What would you say if I have this?" The matron shot back as she held out my prized possession, my only book.



"Hey!" I snapped, "That's mine!"



"Not anymore." The matron said, as she turned on her heel and walked away, "I'm going to burn it."



"You can't!" I cried.



"I can. And I can also send you to the shed. Go." She said clearly enjoying herself.

***********************************************
In Kit's POV
************************************************



The time machine whirred to a stop, and everything fell silent.



I slowly stepped out and look around.
"I know this place." I whispered.



Grace cocked her head to the side and looked at me.
"This was our special place... Mine and Ruthie's." I explained to her.



It was an odd feeling, being back in the place Ruthie and I played so many games, wasted so many hours.
I shook off the odd feeling and typed the instructions into the time machine not to leave with out Ruthie or I.



As I went to leave the little clearing,Grace stole my lucky hat to try and make me stay. Then I realized Grace couldn't come into the orphanage with me. Neither could the backpack with the phone.



I Laughed a little.
"No, Grace, you have to stay here with the pack. And I have a feeling I'll need my lucky hat... and every other kind of luck."

***
I rushed across the small yard to the orphanage.



I ran inside and slumped down in the corner of the dining room.
At first I worried my appearance would draw attention, but when no one noticed, I relaxed a little.



I sighed.
Maybe this would be easier that I thought.
Wrong.



I opened my eyes, and everyone was staring at me.



I was silent, waiting for someone to say something.
Finally a little girl asked, "Are you...her? Like, the her?"



"Um, I guess?" I said, unsure.



"What she means," said a familiar girl, "is are you Kit Kittredge?"



"Yes!" I exclaimed, "How did you know?!"
The girl smiled a sad sort of smile and answered, "Everyone knows you. She wouldn't stop talking about you."



"Who? What do you mean?" I asked in exasperation.



"Twenty-three." the girl, Mary, answered flatly, "She believed in you the whole time. Even when no one else did."



"Wait a sec." I said, "My name is twenty-three."



"Things have changed since you left. The matron was always too busy with you, to worry about anything else. But once you left everything changed." Mary said sadly.
"Like what?" I asked curiously.



"For one thing the punishments. I didn't finish my book work on time because I fell asleep.The punishment? Four lashes with the riding crop." She said holding up her hand to show an angry red cut on the back.



"But, if some one else is twenty-three now, that means I was...." I trailed off, I couldn't believe it.
Could it have been that long?
"Yep," she replied, 'You're name is banned. Anyone who says your name gets.... punished. No one knows how though. No one has said your name for a long time."



"Everyone thought you were...dead. Except twenty-three. She always said you would come back." Mary sighed.
"But, names can only be banned after someone has been gone for two years!" I exclaimed, "I can't have been gone that long!"
"Kit," Mary replied softly, "You've been gone for almost three years."
No. I thought.



Everything sank in slowly, till I jumped up in surprise.
"Mary?" I cried, "Who is twenty-three?"
"Well," She replied hesitantly, "Her name was Ruthie."
"Ruthie! Where is she!?" I shouted, "I have to get her out of here!"



"You have to get her out of here?!" Mary shouted back, "But what about the rest of us?! Are you just going to leave us here?"
I hadn't thought of that.



I silently held eye contact.
"Um, I don't know." I replied lamely.



"Typical. You found a way out of this prison and you'll only take her with you." Mary sighed as she looked away.



"No." I said firmly, "I'm going to get you all out...in a way."



"Really." She snapped, "Well please, enlighten me to this great plan of yours to sneak fifty girls out of a orphanage/prison!"



"Well," I replied a little sheepishly, "I don't have one yet, but I've got an idea. And that's a start, right?"



"Depends. What kind of idea is it?" Mary asked.



I smiled mischievously.
"A 'Mess with the Matron' kind of idea."

*********************************************
The End of Part 4
  
Hey, guys! Sorry this part had so much dialogue, I promise the next part has more action. 
Do you think Kit will ever find Ruthie? What do you think Kit's plan is?
Tell me in the comments!

~ The Human




Comments

  1. Oooooo, mess with the matron, this is going to be fun >:) I love Kit's lucky hat, it's so cute! Can't wait for the next part!
    -Katie :)
    P.S did you get my letter yet? The post office were I live loses stuff sometimes so I just wanted to make sure it got there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >:) Thanks! I like it on her too! Me neither!
      ~ The Human
      P.S. Yes, I got it! Thank you so much for sending it and I'm working on one back right now. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts